Saturday, July 6, 2013

Chances of having redhead baby with two redheaded parents?

red hair variations
 on How to Photograph Pets
red hair variations image



Wondering!


I am a redhead (the
mother) at 29 weeks and very curious. My mother is a redhead and my father had dirty blonde hair with a little red. Both of my parents had blue eyes. I have blue eyes and very pale skin, no freckles only beauty marks. My fiancé (the father) has bright red hair and his father had red hair. My fiancé has brown/hazel eyes, his father has blue eyes.

What are my chances of having a blue eyed, redheaded baby based on these traits in our families?



Answer
Hair color is a large spectrum, so it's not a simple punnet square in most cases, however "red" hair is a result of a mutated MC1R gene, which is a recessive trait. This means that in order for you to have red hair, you need two MC1R genes, one from each parent. This also means that you can only donate the recessive gene.

If both you and your husband have the recessive gene for red hair, then it is relatively certain that your child will have red hair as well (although the nature and degree of the mutated gene may affect what exact shade of red hair).

As far as eye color is concerned, it gets even more complicated because there are two genes that control eye color (this is why there is such variation, even among the "same" color eyes). But for just curiosity's sake, we can simplify it a bit. Blue eyes is (simplified) a recessive trait. Since your eyes are blue this means that you can only donate a "blue" gene to your baby. Your husband has hazel eyes, but his father had blue eyes. This means he has the gene for blue eyes, but has another gene (his mother most likely has brown or green eyes) that can be passed. This means your baby has a 50% chance of receiving the blue gene from your husband to combine with your blue genes.

To sum up: virtually 100% chance of red hair, and a 50% chance of blue eyes.

What kind of beard will I have when I mature?




PsyhcoWalr


Dad's side: I'm 50% German (Saxon, and Engel descent most likely)

Mom's side: Irish, Northern Irish Protestant (English and Scottish), and English

My opa (Dad's side) had reddish blonde hair as a kid probably carries a red hair gene but my mom's side is all brown variations reddish auburn brown, brown, etc. I have my dad's dark brown haird with a goldish shimmer.

Based on this, what kind of facial hair characteristics do you think I will have? I know I'm obsesssed but please answer. If you are knowledgable, go ahead and answer. Don't hesitate.



Answer
....Nobody really has any idea....1

but.........

Well when you're fully mature and have a full facial beard growth, you'll have much the same kind of beard as anybody else has!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Chances of having redhead baby with two redheaded parents?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment