Friday, November 29, 2013

What are the chances of my babys red hair colour changing?

red hair color recessive gene
 on Loreal Hair Color of 2012: Loreal Hair Color Red
red hair color recessive gene image



HANNAH


My gorgeous 7 week old girl was born with a full head of bright ginger/red hair which is adorable but I was wondering what the chances are of it changing to another colour as I hear red is a strong colour and will likely stay? My husband is blonde and I am brown and there is red in my husbands family but not my side?
I dont have a problem with ginger hair just interested to hear of experiences. She has very fair skin and ginger eyebrows an slight blonde eyelashes...



Answer
Red hair is a recessive gene. Brown is the dominant gene, so for red to win out is surprising. If it does turn a different color, it will likely darken to brown, but it sounds like it will stay red. I was born with platinum blond hair and it is turning brown. Normally, you can tell if the baby's hair will turn colors because the eyelashes will be black. Mine are and my hair changed. My sister had bright red hair and red eyelashes and her hair never changed.

Why does my daughter have red hair when I have blonde and my husband has brown?




Brielle


My husbands grandfather had red hair but I though that red hair was a dominant gene so one of the parents had to pass it or both of us had to pass one recessive?? I dont have any red hair on my side of the family. And her hair is VERY red lol!


Answer
This was actually discovered using pea plants by a scientist named Mendell (i can not recall his first name) during the 19th century. He was a priest and devoted his free time (practically his life) to unlock the secrets of heredity. Long story short, he discovered that there are actually gene pairs that consist of a dominant chromosome and an inferior chromosome, in any order. The only way in which the inferior gene can take over is by being paired with it's self, otherwise the dominant gene will portray itself. An example is the 23rd chromosomes, the X for female (inferior by definition) and the Y for male (dominant gene). If the pair contains a Y, like XY, the child is a boy. If XX, it is a girl. There is no 50-50, it is either the dominant is present and portrays itself, or it is only the inferior genes and they portray themselves.

Red Hair is an inferior gene, so both of you have to have been carriers (the technical name) of the gene, while your dominant color genes, blonde and brown, had decided yours. You had a 1 in 4 chance of having a red head, and sure enough that 25% won. She received the two inferior genes from you only.

I could go more in depth, but then everything gets a bit in depth with conception and fertilization and genetics, and I'm sure you barely read all of that! :)

hope that helps you understand




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are the chances of my babys red hair colour changing?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment