Friday, May 2, 2014

Is blond hair recessive or dominant to red hair?

Q. My hair is darkish blond and so is my brothers, but my sister who is 5 years old and her hair is light reddish blond. Will it turn darker eventually cos both me and my brother's hair both were really light as kids but now that we're older its turned slightly darker. My father has blond hair just like mine but my moms is red. I was wondering whether blond hair is dominant to red or are they co-dominant?


Answer
The genetics of hair colour is still not fully understood, especially not the range of shades. There are at least two gene locations involved, one connected with dark vs blond hair and the other is concerned with red hair.

The red hair allele seems to be recessive to non-red hair and is to do with not converting a reddish pigment to a darker pigment. See link below.

There must be other genes and factors involved in fixing how much of various pigments are produced and predicting colour change is more or less impossible. My cousin had clearly brown hair for her first few years, and then it suddenly went blonde like her brother's and has been for nearly two decades now.

Is red hair dominant?




Cristina D


My husband has strawberry blond hair and blue eyes and he has the fairest skin I have ever seen with lots of freckles on his body. His sister and Mom also have strawberry blond hair. I am half Hispanic and half Italian. I have very dark hair and very dark eyes and an olive complexion.

I wonder what our baby will look like. Is there a high possibility our baby will have red hair? I always thought my genes were dominant (dark hair and eyes). I will be happy either way because I just want a healthy baby, but I'm curious about this...
Thank you! I have researched it online but couldn't find a good answer.



Answer
Hi, Cristina!

The hair and eye color of your child(ren) will depend on whether or not you have recessive genes for blue eyes, light hair.

Your husband can only 'donate' the genes for blue eyes and red hair as his genes are doubly recessive.

If you can only 'donate' the dominant dark eyes and hair genes than the child(ren) will have the darker features.

If you have a recessive gene for blue eyes or light hair, then it is possible for the child(ren) to have these lighter features.

Congratulations and I wish you and your husband a healthy and happy child(ren)!

John H




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is blond hair recessive or dominant to red hair?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment