Saturday, November 23, 2013

Is it uncommon for people of German decent to have red hair?

red hair irish
 on Musings of an Inkheart: Introducing..... Rrrrowannn Ooooakly!
red hair irish image



melra


I have no Irish background (German/ French/Italian) and yet people say that I must have some Irish to have red hair. A friend also of German decent believes this too. Only I was asked by a classmate if I was German. I asked her how she guessed because most point and say Irish. She answered: I'm Irish.
So how is it some people say I'm Irish yet a person from the very ethnic background that I 'must have' in me can tell the difference?



Answer
Red hair is not uncommon in any of the old Celtic areas of Europe, from Poland in the East to Ireland and Portugal in the West, and every area in between.

My own background is mixed German-Irish, but there are redheads on either side of the family, and myself and two of my siblings are redheads. In the area where I grew up in Southwestern Germany there were quite a few people with red hair, it is actually more common there than blonde, and more common than in Ireland, where i live now.

You can only have red hair when both of your parents have the gene, and pass it on to you, since it's a recessive gene and only will show if you have it from both parents.

How do black people have red hair and green eyes?




Hello


OK... I know some black people with light skin, red hair, and green eyes!!!!!!!! How is this possible! I mean... It's very rare... does it mean they have irish in them or something?


Answer
Ok... there's something called a dominant genes and recessive genes, which are traits that we carry in our dna

For example, brown hair is a dominant gene, while red hair is a recessive gene. A capital 'B' stands for brown, while a small 'r' represents red. The genes are sort of in pairs...

If someone had 'BB' gene, It would mean they have brown hair. 'rr' means you will have red hair, and if you have 'Br', then you have brown hair because 'B' is the dominant gene.

Each time you give birth, each parent passes on 1/2 of the pair and they come together to give the kid 'xyz' coloured hair...

So the recessive genes are passed through generations, and occasionally, people get two recessive genes (eg, 'rr') and they can have red hair while the parents both have brown hair (but they will have the 'Br' gene). However, the children of the red head might still have different coloured hair because the other parent could have brown/blonde/someothercoloured hair (and this is how red heads are going extinct).

This applies to pretty much many different traits...

Um so that's the science behind it in the simplest terms :) I hope that helps




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it uncommon for people of German decent to have red hair?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment