Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What are my chances of having a child with red hair?

red hair dominant gene
 on chromosome thatprogeria gene progeria genetics progeria genefeb aging ...
red hair dominant gene image



Paul Hanso


My mom had red hair and shes part Scottish, my dad has black hair. I have brown with natural red highlights.
My girlfriend has red hair.



Answer
Okay, let's see...you probably have a recessive red hair gene and a dominant brown hair gene. Let's call that Rr. Your girlfriend has 2 recessive red hair genes: rr. On a T-chart the 4 outcomes are: 2 Rr, and 2 rr. So odds are 1 in 2 I believe

Curious about which gene would be dominant?




lilmiss_r


Im pregnant and im a white female with red hair. My boyfriend is a black but with light colored skin. I know that red isnt always a dominant gene and thats why red hair isnt as common as the other colors. Is there a better chance that my baby will have red hair over black, or is there a way to tell? Either way it doesnt matter to me, im just curious.


Answer
Hair color isn't one of those traits that is one or the other... it's a polygenic trait which means there is more than one gene that controls it. Also with red, it follows another type of inheritance called epistasis where red can be masked by another color, in this case the black hair has a good chance in covering it up. There really is no way to tell what your baby will have... although, if there is a red gene that runs in your boyfriend's family, it would be a little more likely that your baby would have a hint of red hair, if not - the chances are slim and it will probably have black hair. It's fun to see genetics play out in real life! :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are my chances of having a child with red hair?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment