Friday, December 27, 2013

Why is the red hair such an uncommon hair color?

red hair vikings
 on ... man who was nicknamed eric the red because of his red hair and beard
red hair vikings image



Cairistion


I'm jealous of anyone who is a redhead lol! I wish I had red hair!


Answer
Red hair is recessive. Basically, if I inherit one gene for "brown hair" and one for "red hair", the gene for "brown hair" will dominate and I will have brown hair. The only way you get red hair is if BOTH genes are "red hair" genes. Now, it is a little more complex than that because there are more than two genes that determine hair colour, but that's the basic idea. It's sometimes called a "defect" but it's not....it's just recessive.

EDIT: Other people have answered with a cultural explanation and that's true too. Red hair originated in the north European area...I can't remember where exactly...maybe with the vikings? Anyway, it was a relatively small group of people, so spreading the "red hair" recessive gene to other cultures without the "red hair" gene at all - would have been really slow.

Can anyone give me some physical characteristics of a typical Irish person?




April Dawn


I have only heard that they are pale with red hair and green or blue eyes, which are all the stereotypes.
But I wanted to know if there are other physical characteristics or personalities. If there is, can you tell me. Thanks!



Answer
Actually red hair green/blue eyes is not a typical Irish look. A lot of Irish people have very dark-black hair and blue eyes, and very pale skin. The Irish population is made up of a mixed heritage -Viking Celtic, Norman etc.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why is the red hair such an uncommon hair color?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment