Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How can i convince my parents to let me get a reptile?

red hair tarantula
 on Tarantula Anatomy (B. smithi)
red hair tarantula image



Samantha


I have always wanted a ball python but my dad always says no he says that i already have too many animals but all i have is 2 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs but i really don't think that is a lot and i have a job so i pay for all of them i make sure they all have food and toys and money isn't really a problem I have been thinking if i can't convince them to let me get a snake then i was thinking maybe i could get an emperor scorpion, a red hair tarantula, a bearded dragon, or a panther gecko does anybody have any ideas of how i can convince them to let me get one


Answer
My general convince your parents to let you get a reptile advice:

1. Be responsible. Do all your chores without being nagged, take care of any existing pets, keep your room clean, and so on. Prove, to your parents' satisfaction, that you, not they, will be the one actually taking care of your new pet.

2. Save up, and research, so that you are ready for your new pet.

3. Bargain with them. Offer to do extra chores, ask for your pet as a reward for good grades, something like that.

4. Play the sympathy card. If you can find a pet at a shelter, or that a friend needs to get rid of because they're moving or whatever, you might be able to talk your parents into "giving it a good home" where you might not be able to talk them into buying a new pet.

Good luck!

How do I convince my parents to let me get a Tarantula?




Jacob Hink


Hi, I'm turning 14 in May and for my birthday I want to get a Chilean Rose-Hair Tarantula. I have a Gecko that also eats crickets every week or two, so I know how to do that. I know I can take care of this pet and care for it, but my mom HATES spiders, as I imagine most do, and my dad usually sides with my mom and he came up with the conclusion that they're not 'practical pets'. How do I convince them to let me get one? Thanks.


Answer
Actually, such spiders are very practical. they are clean, quiet, require little care, and are much more economical than other pets.
Perhaps if you could talk your parents into a trip to an exotic animal store, they may be able to see just what these spiders are really like, and talk to keepers about issues in keeping them.
I started keeping house spiders as a kid,(my mom feared them) but agreed to let me keep a couple in my room. If she knew I was also keeping black widows, she would have gone through the roof, but she wouldn't get near my pets.
A couple things to consider: Tarantulas, even the mild mannered rosies, are not cuddly little pets to be played with. They can easily be handled if need be, but kept to a minimum. They are wild, and always will be.
Keeping such pets is a responsibility thing, they can live many years, even decades, and it is the keepers responsibility to properly care for them for the long run, even after the novelty wears off.
If you can accept this responsibility, the Chilean rose hair makes a perfect beginners spider.
My first tarantula was a Mexican red knee, I kept for 13 years.
Like your gecko, you will need to learn how to properly care for these spiders, perhaps you can convince your parents there is little difference between these animals.
Maybe if your dad should read this, he can make the call for you to have such a pet, but you may have to respect his wishes if he declines. The spiders will still be around when you get your own place. (you could always keep a house spider under your bed or hidden on a shelf)
PS: @ Candice, here is a mother that fears spiders, but would rather not pass her phobia along:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VDgni-Q-8




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can i convince my parents to let me get a reptile?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment