Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why does my family have the hair color we do?

red hair color dominance
 on Love her red hair and green eyes! / make up tips - Juxtapost
red hair color dominance image



C


Why does each member of my family have different hair colors? My grandmother was a blonde and my grandfather was a brunet. My father is brunet, but my aunts have red and blonde hair respectively (all natural). My mother is a brunet, my brother is a brunet, but I am a blonde. Why is this? I thought that this was genetically impossible.

On another note, if I have children with a red-head what colors of hair could they have? (out of curiosity)

And lastly, are green eyes more recessive than blue? My father has blue eyes, my mother green, but my brother and I both have green eyes. Why? Please include detailed explanations! Thank you so much!



Answer
Wow, long question. Remember this is all MUCH more complicated, so I've simplified everything down to make it easier to understand.

1. This entire question is quite complicated, as there are many factors that determine hair colour, and there is no real dominant or recessive gene. Generally, we're taught is that BLACK is dominant to all, BROWN is recessive to black, but dominant to blonde and red, BLONDE is recessive to black and brown, but dominant to red, and RED is recessive to all. So- BLACK > BROWN > BLONDE > RED

As red hair is recessive, you must be homozygous (same) for the allele (in this case, red hair colour). So to have red hair you must have the alleles red x red. In contrast, the alleles for black hair can vary, as black is dominant to all. Anything with a black haired allele produces black hair (eg. black x brown, black x blonde, black x red and black x black). Following this, brunettes could have the alleles brown x blonde, brown x red and brown x brown. Blondes could have blonde x red and blonde x blonde.

If we give your parents and you some alleles:
Father: brown x brown, brown x blonde, brown x red
Mother: brown x brown, brown x blonde, brown x red
You: blonde x blonde, blonde x red
We know that you get one allele from your mum and one from your dad. As you are blonde, you could have received 2 blonde alleles from each parent, or one blonde and one red.

Even though you have a red hair allele, it isn't expressed in your hair colour. This is why your aunts have such different hair colours. For heterozygous (different alleles) individuals, one of the alleles could be passed onto the next generation and may not even show at all.

2. Only two red headed parents can have a red headed child. Again, this is complicated, but looking at the most resent generation, most likely blonde or brown hair.

3. Realistically, no gene is more 'recessive' or 'dominant' than the other, because things such as co dominance exist. But for demonstrations sake, yes.

Father: blue x blue or blue x green
Mother: green x green
You: green x green
A green allele is inherited from each parent.

To summarise everything, a trait may be expressed, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the person doesn't have the recessive trait, as they could be a carrier.

It's A LOT more complicated than this, but I hope I could make things a bit clearer.

Why does my nose hair have different color?







Okay, if I pluck an abnormally long nose hair, it seems that it is black at the tip and red-ish brown from there to the base. Why does the color vary like this? Is it maturity? Light exposure?


Answer
possibly incomplete dominance




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why does my family have the hair color we do?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment