Saturday, February 15, 2014

What causes red hair?










Answer
The pigment pheomelanin gives red hair its distinctive color.
Red hair is associated with fair skin color because of low concentrations of eumelanin throughout the body of those with red hair.This lower melanin-concentration confers the advantage that a sufficient concentration of important Vitamin D can be produced under low light conditions.
The genetics of red hair, appear to be associated with the melanocortin-1 receptor (MC1R), which is found on chromosome 16.Red hair can originate from several different changes on the MC1R-gene. If one of these changes is present on both chromosomes then the respective individual is likely to have red hair. This type of inheritance is described as an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance. Even if both parents do not have red hair themselves, both can be carriers for the gene and have a redheaded child.

what is the chance my 2nd son will have red hair?




KristySEK


I have bright red hair my 1st child has red hair. will his lil brother have it too? My husbands mom's hair is a shade of red looks more brown. My brother and I are the only ones who have red hair in my family. Does anyone know the chance of my 2nd son having red hair too? I hope so :)


Answer
Hair color is controlled by several genes (at least 5). There are many shades of hair color, and creating a pedigree can be quite complicated.

the site below has a chart that helps explain what is currently understood about red hair inheritance




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What causes red hair?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment