Friday, March 14, 2014

Tips for dying my hair red/auburn?




Johanna


Okay, so in a couple weeks I decided to dye it a light auburn color like this --
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/co/covergirl-auburn-wavy-wig.jpg

But I've heard (from friends who've dyed it red before) that it fades the first couple of weeks. So 'm wondering if I should dye it lighter/deeper so it fades to that color?
Any suggestions or pictures on what color I should get that would fade somewhat close to the picture above?
Or any tips on preserving the color?
Thanks :)



Answer
I dye my hair Auburn all the time and I've found because I straighten it I lose alot of my color. I always get a deep or dark Auburn. If you can't find a dark auburn try a medium Burgandy. It'll fade out and not just go to red like the Auburn color will.

I use Walmart's 3 dollar hair dye. It fades out in a month or so but the hair still stays a reddish color for me for months afterward. I use twice as much as I should use so my hair is saturated well with it. I have very thick hair so I end up brushing my hair lightly while dying to make sure every strand had a good coating of it.

Other tips are leaving it in for 10-15 minutes after the suggested amount of time. Obviously getting a color safe shampoo/conditioner. A big one I've found is that if you rinse with luke warm water instead of hot it holds color better. Make sure for the first week or so you use warm water and not hot water to continue to keep that lovely color.

Like I said earlier, I straighten my hair. I eventually had to go out and find a serum to help save my color from being straightened away. It's great stuff I found at Sallys called Glossing Polish by Proclaim. (Color and heat protection). It has a wonderful smell and if you use just a small amount in your hair, it doesn't leave a really greasy feeling or lots of build up over time. Only warning is that if you do use a bunch you will have hair that is slick and greasy looking. The serum spreads nicely through the hair so you don't always need as much as you think you might. (Made that mistake the first time. Looked like I had wet hair constantly. Didn't stay straight at all) You can always use it right out of the shower and it gives a nice shine and some extra softness to it. I also avoid using a hard brush for a couple days to let the natural oils spread back out between showers.

As far as shampoo/conditioner goes Fructis should be used with care. Some people experience this, some don't. Something about the fruit oils they use in the product end up destroying and drying hair out after a couple months of use. I used to use their "Sleek and shine" line but found that it seemed to be pulling the color out of my hair a lot faster than the other products I used. I personally use the Hydration line from Herbal Essences. Doesn't ruin my color. But if you're gonna go all out they do make shampoo/conditioner that are made specifically for red dyes. And if you're a very "natural" person they make an olive oil conditioner that has a very light smell but is recommended for healthy hair growth, is color safe, and helps build strength back to burnt out hair. It comes out of the bottle looking like Guacamole but works wonders.

My only other warning for dark auburn or burgundy is that if you're not careful and spill it in your bathroom or get spatters anywhere it will look like you were in the bathroom slaying mulberries.

Oh yea, one thing I was once told is to let you hair set with the color for a few days afterward and style only at need. Also to stay away from blow drying right away. Again with the heat damage. And for keeping away split ends caused by the stripping of your hair when you color, make sure you find some kind of leave-in conditioner and apply to your hair once a day or every other day.

Ooo...I almost forgot...a big one. Don't wash your hair every every day. Conditioning is ok but shampoos pull a lot of the natural oils out when it cleans. Try every other day at first until you feel comfortable that the color is staying in.

Ok, I think I'm done. Hope it was helpful. Sorry about the length of the post.

I need hair dye tips!?




Andy


I dyed my hair red about 3 months ago and everyone, including myself, LOVED it! I want to dye it again with the same dye because it lasted a long time, but I want it brighter. If I dye it once, then dye it the next day will it be brighter? Or will it even do anything?
P.S I have dark brown to black hair.



Answer
If you want it brighter, get a brighter shade. Or bleach your hair then dye it red, but when you apply red dye on bleached hair it washes off quickly. I would recommend some Manic Panic hair dye if you plan on bleaching. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Tips for dying my hair red/auburn?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment