Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Do I carry a red hair gene?




LouLou


My dad had red hair, but as far as I'm aware nobody else in the family does. I know that my aunt and uncle on his side both have brown hair. Me and my brother both have light brown hair, and my mom has dark brown hair. Does this mean that I have a recessive red hair gene and a dominant brown gene? I'm pretty sure it does mean that, but I just wanted another opinion.

I've heard that red hair can occur in any child as it's caused by a mutation, if this is the case then is my dad's hair colour random? As I said, noone else in the family has red hair.

Oh, and just as an aside question if anyone knows - if for example one parent had a pointed chin and one had a square chin, would a child inherit either the pointed or the square, or somewhere inbetween? Like do you inherit one or the other, or do they combine? Sorry if I'm being a total idiot haha, I just wasn't sure.
So am I right in saying that people with recessive hair colours such as red and blonde carry only the genes for that hair colour - they can't carry a brown hair gene too?



Answer
Red hair is caused by a mutation, but not the way you think. It is a recessive trait that has to be inherited. If you have both copies of the recessive gene, this causes a mutation in a protein that will lead to red hair. You are probably a carrier of red hair gene. Because it is recessive, it means your dad has two copies and had to give you one.

I'm not sure about square and pointy chins. But I know that cleft chin is a dominant trait and having the one gene that causes cleft chin will give you a cleft chin. But certain traits such as height and skin color are polygenic or continuous, meaning more than one gene controls them.

Random question about my children and the red hair trait?







Okay, so I am bored and decided to ask this thanks for reading.
My fraturnal great-grand father is full blooded Irish and at least half of his 16 kids have (and had) natural red hair. Their daughter (my grandma) has red hair and 2 of her 6 children has red hair (my aunt and uncle) and my aunts son has brown hair but a red tint in his beard yet his daughter has bright orange, red hair just like the earlier generation(the daughters mother's family has NO red genes). And my dad has brown hair with a brown and blonde beard but with little to no red tint. And I have brown hair with a brown, blonde goatee with a noticing red tint just like my cousin who has the red haired daughter. So my question is, could any of my children have this orange-ish red-ish Irish hair just as easily as my cousin's daughter does? Thanks for reading and I am 17.



Answer
First, there is no such thing as "fraternal great-grandfather".
"Fraternal" means "brother"; unless you mean half-brother or step-brother, his ancestors are yours.
Secondly, there is no such thing as "full-blooded" Irish (or any other group).

To answer your query re red hair, a brother of mine has red hair. Neither of my parents nor none of my grandparents had red hair. But go back another 2 generations and one of those g-g-grandmas was a Pennsylvania Dutch with red hair.

If you read Darwin's "The Origin of Species", he says that a trait can reappear from 100 generations ago!

And, if you read "The Seven Daughters of Eve" by Bryan Sykes, he says where the red-haired people came from, how they migrated westward across Southern Europe and North to the British Isles.

So, basically, any child of yours could have blonde, red, brown, or black hair and any of several shades of eye color.

So, for fun, check out your family tree, starting with:
You should start by asking all your living relatives about family history. Then, armed with that information, you can go to your public library and check to see if it has a genealogy department. Most do nowadays; also, don't forget to check at community colleges, universities, etc. Our public library has both www.ancestry.com and www.heritagequest.com free for anyone to use (no library card required).
Another place to check out is any of the Mormon's Family History Centers. They allow people to search for their family history (and, NO, they don't try to convert you).
A third option is one of the following websites:
http://www.searchforancestors.com/...

http://www.censusrecords.net/?o_xid=2739...

www dot usgenweb dot com/

www dot census dot gov/

http://www.rootsweb.com/

www dot ukgenweb dot com/

www dot archives dot gov/

http://www.familysearch.org/

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/...

http://www.cyndislist.com/

www dot geni dot com/

Cyndi's has the most links to genealogy websites, whether ship's passenger lists, ancestors from Africa, ancestors from the Philippines, where ever and whatever.

Of course, you may be successful by googling: "john doe, born 1620, plimouth, massachusetts" as an example.

Good luck and have fun!

Check out this article on five great free genealogy websites:

www dot associatedcontent dot com/article...

Then there is the DNA test; if you decide you want to REALLY know where your ancestors came from opt for the DNA test. Besides all the mistakes that officials commonly make, from 10% to 20% of birth certificates list the father wrong; that is, mama was doing the hanky-panky and someone else was the REAL father. That won't show up on the internet or in books; it WILL show up in DNA.
I used www.familytreedna.com which works with the National Geographics Genotype Program.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Do I carry a red hair gene?
Rating: 92% based on 976 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment